All of our roses are grown on their own roots, which means that they are grown directly from cuttings and not grafted onto a different rootstalk. There are several benefits to purchasing own-root roses as compared to grafted roses which are typically sold at large retail outlets.
Advantages of Own-Root Roses
- Own-root roses have increased vigor and bloom.
- Own-root roses have longer life expectancy.
- In cold climates, roses on their own roots tend to be not only hardier, but also to remain true to the original variety should they die back in winter. The bud union of a grafted rose is the most vulnerable spot to cold and it can be easily damaged in a cold winter. In contrast, own root roses can freeze all the way to the ground and because they have their own root system, they come back as the same rose originally purchased.
- Own-root roses naturally send up shoots from the soil, which eventually creates a shapelier bush than a grafted rose.
- Decreased likelihood of rootstock suckers.
- The elimination of grafting guarantees that your roses will always be the same rose you selected when it was purchased. If you’ve ever had a beautiful yellow rose turn red or white, you know what we’re talking about!